With all of the grounds on which Yorkshire formerly played first-class cricket now having been covered in this series, Paul Dyson turns his attention to the two grounds who have hosted only limited-overs county matches.
The first known cricket match in Barnsley took place in 1834 when the visitors represented Sheffield, then the centre of the game in Yorkshire. A few clubs were formed over the next few years but most folded before the Clarence Club came into being in the 1850s and became a more permanent set-up when it acquired a new ground. This was in Shawlands, was off Shaw Lane and the venue was opened in mid-June 1859, the inaugural match involving a defeat for the visiting Holbeck.
In the following year the All-England XI arrived to play against 22 of Barnsley and they returned two years later to play against 14 of Yorkshire. This latter event featured various side-shows and a ball was held on each of the three evenings of the game. Despite the efforts which had gone into this, and its success, it was the last game of such importance on the ground for well over 100 years.
Barnsley CC was also formed in 1862, when the Clarence Club joined forces with Beechfield CC, and it played several friendly matches before playing in the West Riding League in the final decade of the 19th century. It then played in the Yorkshire Council from 1900 to 1932 before becoming a founder-member of the Yorkshire League and has it played in its various formats ever since.