Yorkshire enjoyed a productive day with bat and then ball to claim the advantage after two days of their Specsavers County Championship match against Surrey at Scarborough.

Another fascinating day saw runs, wickets, disciplinary issues and play stopped numerous times after tea due to a sea fret enveloping the North Marine Road ground, with 14.5 overs lost as a result.

Yorkshire advanced their first innings from 299-8 overnight to 337 all out, a total later boosted by five penalty runs as Surrey committed two Level One offences under the ECB’s disciplinary directives.

In reply to 342, Surrey closed on, 219-7 from 72.1 overs.

Captain Steve Patterson contributed significantly for the hosts.

At the start of play, he completed a ninth-wicket partnership of 61 with Jack Brooks (27) and made 21 as the pair frustrated pace duo Morne Morkel and Jade Dernbach, the latter who removed them both within three deliveries to wrap up the innings.

Patterson and Brooks rode their luck as they attacked a barrage of short-pitched bowling. Brooks was caught at mid-off and Patterson bowled.

Patterson later struck twice with the ball alongside Ben Coad and Tim Bresnan.

Surrey’s disciplinary issues began in the field, with the first offence committed by a player who has not yet been named.

The second came when England fringe opener Mark Stoneman was adjudged caught behind off Coad for nine and made his displeasure at umpire Paul Pollard’s decision clear as he left the field.

Unfortunately for him, he was spending part of his 31st birthday evening in a hearing with umpires Pollard, Peter Hartley, match liaison officer Wayne Noon and his team-mate when the Level One offences could be increased or scrubbed altogether.

After the departure of Stoneman, his opening partner and captain Rory Burns advanced at good pace on the way to 59.

He reached 50 off 46 balls with eleven fours, but he lost Scott Borthwick caught behind off a top-edged pull at Bresnan as the visitors reached lunch at 89-2.

Yorkshire then claimed three wickets in the afternoon as Surrey reached tea at 174-5, with Coad, Bresnan and Patterson all striking.

Coad had Burns caught behind for 59 before Bresnan had Patel caught low down at first slip for 32, leaving Surrey at 140-4 after 42 overs.

And just before tea, short-term South African overseas batsman Theunis de Bruyn edged captain Patterson behind for 38.

After tea was when the sea fret started to cause issues, with the umpires halting play on nine separate occasions without taking the players off the field. They eventually did.

The Yorkshire faithful were particularly vocal at this stage, with numerous shouts of ‘Geeerrrr on w’it!’, although given the state of the light the umpires did an excellent job maintaining the flow of play as the light improved and worsened almost minute by minute.

Patterson claimed the sixth Surrey wicket when he had Will Jacks lbw as he stepped across his stumps and tried to play to leg (192-6 in the 63rd).

A little overs five overs later, Yorkshire had their seventh when Rikki Clarke punched a return catch to Bresnan for a duck as the score fell to 197-7.

Amidst the gloomy light, Morkel, in at nine, began to play his shots and launched Patterson over mid-wicket for a huge six shortly after Surrey went beyond 200. He will begin day three alongside Ollie Pope, who has 34.

An image of Lauren Winfield-Hill and Adil Rashid, with the Yorkshire logo and Northern Diamonds logo in the middle

Sign up to our newsletter

For all the latest news, previews, ticket, membership and Premium Experiences information and more exciting content from Yorkshire Cricket and the Northern Diamonds straight to your inbox, subscribe now.

To view our privacy policy, click here.