Today we celebrate 130 years since Emerald Headingley Stadium first opened its doors to the cricket adoring public.
In the late 1880s a group of businessmen and sports-lovers, under the chairmanship of Lord Hawke, decided to take the initiative to equip Leeds with a suitable ground on which cricket of a high standard could take place. The group formed the Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Company Ltd and purchased Lot 17a on the Cardigan estate for £25,000. The site had already been used for cricket and rugby and the area became organised for the use of six sports – bowls, cycling and tennis in addition to the three mentioned in the company’s title.
The pavilion and main stand were both built in 1889; designed by the firm of Smith and Tweddle they cost £30,300. The cricket ground was officially opened on May 27, 1890 when Leeds CC played Scarborough CC and the first rugby match took place in September of the same year.