Skip to content

Report: Yorkshire Vikings v Surrey

— 13 June 2017


Kumar Sangakkara scored his 100th hundred in all cricket to help knock Yorkshire out of the Royal London one-day Cup at Headingley tonight.

The legendary Sri Lankan, 39, hit a superb run-a-ball 121 to underpin his side’s 313-7 after electing to bat, while England Lions wicketkeeper Ben Foakes added 86.

Yorkshire, for whom Adam Lyth top-scored with 75, then finished on 289-9 to lose by 24 runs as ex-West Indies seamer Ravi Rampaul claimed three wickets for the visitors.

Surrey have now beaten Yorkshire twice in two RL50 knockout matches at Headingley after last year’s late August semi-final.

The Oval side go on to face Worcestershire in Saturday’s semi-final at New Road as they aim to reach a third successive final.

Yorkshire enjoyed success in the early stages of Surrey’s innings by reducing the visitors to 70-3 inside 15 overs, including wickets in successive overs for impressive spin duo Azeem Rafiq and Karl Carver.

Ben Coad made the initial breakthrough when he had Mark Stoneman caught behind with eight on the board in the fourth over.

Sangakkara and Scott Borthwick then shared 61 inside eleven overs to get the innings moving, but the latter was trapped lbw by Rafiq on the back foot in the 14th.

Carver had another left-hander Rory Burns caught at square-leg sweeping.

Sangakkara and Foakes dominated the middle stages of Surrey’s innings to put their side on top.

Sangakkara hit four sixes, including two straight down the ground off Rafiq, on the way to his 39th List A century, off 106 balls.

But once he was stumped off Rafiq in the 43rd over, leaving Surrey at 250-4, Yorkshire started to wrestle back some momentum.

Foakes had played second fiddle to his partner, but played confidently nevertheless to back up the 90 he scored in last year’s semi-final win here.

He was Rafiq’s third wicket when he lofted a catch to Adam Lyth at long-on – 259-5 in the 45th – to end a fourth-wicket stand of 180 inside 29 overs.

They were two of four wickets to fall inside the last eight overs of the innings, which also featured an innovative 37 off 25 from Ollie Pope, who took the lion’s share of 22 off Coad in the penultimate over.

Rafiq and Carver were the pick of the Yorkshire bowlers with 3-51 and 1-52 from their respective 10 overs.

Lyth drove Jade Dernbach’s first ball of the chase for four, but Alex Lees fell in the seventh over when he pulled the same bowler to deep square-leg with 31 on the board.

Lyth, who reached 50 off 55 balls, shared 95 inside 19 overs with Jack Leaning for the second wicket to set an excellent platform.

But he fell caught at deep cover off Rampaul to leave the score at 126-2 after 25 overs.

And when Leaning fell for 42, caught behind in Rampaul’s next, the game swung to Surrey with the score at 131-3.

Gary Ballance lofted Borthwick’s leg-spin for six over long-on early in his innings as Yorkshire reached the 30-over mark at 155-3, needing 159 more.

He shared 64 inside eleven overs with Peter Handscomb, but when the skipper (36) chipped a low Tom Curran full toss to mid-wicket, Yorkshire were 195-4 in the 38th needing 119 more.

Handscomb and Tim Bresnan were together as the target became 110 off the last 10.

The Australian reached 50 off 46 balls in the 43rd over with a six over mid-wicket off Rampaul, who claimed his third in the same over when Bresnan was caught behind – 236-5.

But when Jade Dernbach had Handscomb caught at wide long-on for 60 – 245-6 in the 45th with 69 more needed – Yorkshire were left with a mountain to climb.

Rafiq and Matthew Fisher were run out as the target became 29 off the last. Matthew Waite’s 34 proved to be in vain.